Director of Information TechnologyApply Now
Unison Energy Overview
Unison Energy designs, builds, owns, operates, and maintains on-site energy generation systems through long-term energy service agreements, typically 15-20 years, that require no capital investment from our clients. We bill our clients only for energy provided to their facility. Unison’s on-site microgrid solutions provide our clients with significant cost savings, energy resiliency, and reduced carbon footprints in a turnkey solution.
Unison’s microgrids can include packaged Combined Heat and Power (“CHP”) systems based on natural gas engines, solar, battery energy storage systems (“BESS”), other central utility plant equipment and EV charging equipment. Our clients include hotel/convention centers, data centers, industrial, food manufacturing and distribution, healthcare, higher education, and package distribution facilities.
Unison, founded in 2010, is backed by American Infrastructure Funds (www.aimlp.com). Our headquarters is in Greenwich, CT. Currently, we have approximately 50 employees. Unison Energy is growing rapidly and our IT and data needs are evolving quickly.
IT Environment Overview
Unison Energy runs a mix of internally developed applications for pricing, project monitoring, data warehouse, team communications and tariff analyses. We also use 3rd party applications such as Salesforce, ServiceMax, ProCore and NetSuite. Our network is built for continuous monitoring of each of our sites where we capture and store in our proprietary data warehouse (PowerIQ) and report on several hundred datapoints per second for each site through PC/ Android / IOS apps.
Unison Energy works with external vendors for four areas:
- Applications development – based in India
- Infrastructure (network and data hosting) – based in US
- Project monitoring – based in Philippines
- Helpdesk – based in US
Job Description (Manager or Director):
The Director of Information Technology will have responsibility for overall strategy and management of Unison Energy’s information technology and data. This individual will be responsible for leading our development efforts for our internally managed applications, managing our external vendors in implementing our strategy. The Director of IT is the person that will lead resolution of any issues. At Unison Energy, leaders are also doers. We expect a successful candidate to be able to provide vision, leadership and direction while also being Scrum Master/Product Owner on supporting application development, problem troubleshooting & resolution, and data management. The ideal candidate will have graduated up the ranks in a development career path and is looking to take the leap to strategize and implement high-level program initiatives. This candidate will have a strong talent for project coordination, working with developers internationally and internal departmental business owners. This position will be hybrid /remote with candidate commuting to Connecticut HQ for monthly strategy meetings.
Role & responsibilities:
- Own IT strategy for the firm supporting company growth
- Lead product development and project teams for internally developed applications, enduring program goals are reached
- Strategize, implement, and maintain program initiatives that adhere to organizational objectives, standards of satisfaction, quality, and performance
- Lead application and data strategy for both internal and 3rd party applications recommending build vs buy, when to upgrade, evolve, or retire existing applications
- Manage external application developers and the Azure Dev Ops application and an agile development cycle including:
- Define sprints, update and document workflow and tasks.
- Run code reviews and manage pipeline iteration.
- Manage test cases, quality assurance, testing and documenting developed tasks, stories, features, and epics in ADO.
- Keep the agile process moving and communicate issues, risk, and delays.
- Manage a “Black Book” for developed product.
- Manage external helpdesk, infrastructure, and network vendor and processes
- Own IT troubleshooting working with internal and external resources to resolve issues
- Set IT policies for data retention, user access, and cyber security
- Working with vendors, own network topology strategy to maintain connectivity with operating sites, vendors, external APIs
- Daily and Monthly responsibilities
- Host daily stand-up meetings
- Remove roadblocks
- The successful candidate will bring a high level of ethical, intellectual, professional, and personal values that complement the team and company culture, including:
- Exceptional leadership, time management, facilitation, and organizational skills
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding working knowledge of change management principles and performance evaluation processes
- Respect for colleagues and sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in information technology or similar field
- Experience managing an IT environment
- Application development experience; particularly SQL, .NET, C#, Salesforce basics.
- Remote development experience using Azure Dev. Ops.
- Must be able to work independently
Must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer without visa sponsorship.